While a vegan diet eliminates all animal products entirely (the most devout vegans won’t wear animal products or even partake in honey because it was produced by an animal), when done properly a vegan diet can be packed with all the nutrition (and taste!) that people need to effectively nourish their bodies. Bonus? Vegan eating is downright delicious to boot.
What is Vegan?
Simply put, the vegan diet is plant based and includes produce, fruit (in all forms), whole grains, tubers, legumes, nuts, and seeds. Typically meat, poultry, fish, dairy products and eggs, as well as highly refined foods such as bleached flour, refined sugar and oil are eliminated from a vegan diet, according to ForksOverKnives.com. That said, vegans can certainly enjoy the naturally sun dried taste of Traina® Foods dried fruit varieties — as well as the benefits! For example, dried apricots and figs are a good source of calcium and iron that people might otherwise get from dairy or red meat. Read on for a few simple and tasty vegan recipe ideas using Traina Foods natural dried fruit.
Mix it Up
Granolas and trail mixes are a great way for vegans to fuel their bodies for a hike or a long bike ride. The whole grains of oats, the good fat in the nuts and the micronutrients in Traina® Foods dried fruit varieties come together to make granolas and trail mixes an ideal snack, or quick breakfast on the go.
For a quick mix, combine:
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup Traina® Foods All American Blend
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tablespoons carob chips (optional)
- Dash of sea salt (or other preferred spice such as cinnamon)
Fold all the items together, and grab a handful or store in an airtight container for a treat on the go!
Top it Off
Adding Traina® Foods sun dried fruits to salads offers a punch of flavor as well as provides vegan dieters a source of important antioxidants. Traina Foods Crunchy Greens with Dried Fruit recipe is a yummy example of mixing dried fruit in a fresh salad.
Luckily in the vegan diet, indulging can still be super healthy (while seeming decadently sinful!). Case in point? Traina® Foods new Vegan Chewy Almond Butter Cookies — try them today!
Traina® Foods Vegan Chewy Almond Butter Cookies
- ¾ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
- ¼ cup Traina® Foods dried cherries (or Traina Foods dried fruit of choice), chopped
- ¼ cup Traina® Foods dried figs, chopped
- ¾ cup all natural, creamy almond butter
- ¼ cup 100 percent pure maple syrup
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except almond butter and maple syrup.
- Once well mixed, add almond butter and maple syrup, folding all ingredients together until well combined and a thick consistency forms.
- Form dough into balls and drop onto the prepared baking sheet, then use a fork to imprint a hash mark on the cookies and flatten them slightly.
- Allow to set in the freezer for 20 minutes or until firm.